Monday, May 30, 2005

An amazing world

I don't know about the truth of this fact but I read in a book( a science-fiction one, that you can't tell if it's fiction or science ) that 99.9 % of the living species that have ever lived on the Earth are now extinct. Is'nt that amazing. It means that we were saved by a chance of 0.001. Lucky us then. Now let's consider another fact which is not from a science fiction book but just as amazing. Ok the fact is that our ancestors make an upward tree( remember an upward tree of which you are the root. ) My mum and dad are the two nodes one level higher than me, and the 4 nodes that are 2 levels higher than me are theire mum's and dad's now 2^n nodes( my ancestors ) are n levels higher than me. let's assume that a person's average life span is 65 years. now think of the ancestors that are 20 levels higher that me that means 2^20 people who lived about 1300 years ago. surely they did'nt live in just one place, since 2^20 = 1048576. So they must have been scattered at least over all of asia. 1300 years ago, what was the average chance of a baby's survival ? you can guess how low that would be. Let's think that it was 75%( Think about all the deseases and uncured ilnesses that were around then). now if any of my 2^20 ancestors were killed before theire children were born, I Would not be alive now. Since All my ancectors must have lived I am alive with a chance of ( 3/4 )^(2^20 ) that means zero. so how come I am alive ? You see this is how amzing our world is, we are alive only out of pure luck. Can you feel life going up and down your body. Remember that the chance for you to live as the person you are now is zero, but you are alive. is'nt that amazing? Praise god for the pure chance to live.

No comments: